Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Grant [part 1]

2 Pet. 1:3
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,

It is hard to fathom that God would reach down to me at all, but exceeding that, that He would use His divine power to grant to me all things pertaining to life and godliness. Life and Godliness! What an amazing gift! What else is there? Actually there is an opposing force, Satan, who is offering a life as well. But the difference is that his grant is filled with empty promises, a constant striving for more without ever being satisfied, and a final end alienated from God for eternity. Considering this, it seems as if my choice is a no-brainer. But even after God has drawn me to Himself, I still live in this body of flesh, a body that is constantly trying to tear me down, to rip off my garments of grace, and a body in which Satan delights in pulling me away from God . What a struggle! This is exactly why I must cling to the promises of God wholeheartedly. Why would I reject the grant of life and godliness? 

How has the power of God been manifest to me? Initially it was seen in Jesus. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth... And from His fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. The Father granted us grace, undeserved and unearned favor with Him. It is through grace that we can practically grow into Him who is the head, into Christ. I was once alienated and hostile in mind, seeking only to please myself. But Jesus reconciled me to God by His death on the cross where He paid the legal debt of my sin. Why would Jesus do this? So that He might present me holy, blameless, and above reproach to the Father.The goal is for me to grow in the grace and knowledge of God, to adhere to His promises and live in His truth. So what is wrong if I constantly struggle in my Christian walk, if I muck around in sin way too much? I would say that I am definitely not utilizing the gift the God has granted me. I am not focusing on God and His plan for my life. I would say that I am an ingrate, foolishly going my own way. For me, it all comes down to choice. Do I choose to obey the Word, or is my sin still appealing. Am I justifying actions because they seem alright by the world's standards. Certainly there is a pull of the flesh [and I do live in the world], but thankfully there is confession. He will forgive an unlimited amount of times. 

When I think of His invitation to His own glory and excellence, I am in awe! The Father sent the Son to die the most humiliating and painful death possible, so that I might be called to His glory and excellence. Wow! I know I have Jesus and the Spirit indwelling me so that I may grow in his love and in His light, so that I might know and experience His glory and excellence as I wait for the day that He calls me home. In the meantime I do have a mission. I must saturate myself in the Word, the written but living Word because there I find the record of all that is meant by His glory and excellence. Not only do I need to know His word, but I must live as it dictates. My life is now on a different course, one that will end when Jesus calls me to Himself. I must remember that I have all that I need to live in a godly manner. I have the playbook. Even a football player would be off the team if he didn't adhere to the plays. So in the spiritual realm, I must know the plays and submit to Him, obeying 100% of the time.  

Father,
Help me to live in a way that I can utilize all that You have given me. I know that Christ and the Spirit indwell me, interceding for me, teaching me, guiding me, and bringing all things that You have said to my mind. Help me to focus my spirit so that it is in sync with Your Spirit. Help me to read and obey what is emblazoned on my heart.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment