Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Body Life

1 Cor. 12: 27
Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.
 
Just as the body is one and has many members, so it is with Christ. His body does not consist of just one part but of many parts, and each part was made to drink of one Spirit. What would happen if the foot rebelled and refused to work with the body? Or the eye or the ear? What would it be like if the body had only one sense? It would not be able to function at all. Each part of the body is essential and indispensable.
 
Who decided the parts of the body? God did as He chose! So the arrangement is perfect! It had nothing to do with my preference or my natural talents. In fact, the body is arranged so that the weaker parts are essential. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it. Why? So there would be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. And I am part of the body of Christ! I am individually a member of it!
 
But am I really aware of the other parts of the body? I know I think of others as Christ's body, but I don't really see their function within the body. Is function visible? I would think that the most important thing would be harmony, the lack of division, without any member striving to be noticed. Being part of the body and serving Christ should be focused on growing up into the head into Christ. From Him the entire body is joined together and functions by each joint with which it is equipped. When each joint is working properly it makes the body grow up into love, the more excellent way. How wonderful is that!
 
Father,
Teach me to be aware of body life, for me to see when I need to minister to another, and for me to grow up into Christ, the head of my body. Take away from me my desire to be noticed and praised. Give me a spirit of contentment in You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment