Wednesday, April 30, 2014

My Treasure

2 Cor. 4:7-10
But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.
 
These verses are like home base for me. I rely on them constantly. How God could chose to put a treasure in my jar of clay is unbelievable! But He did! This treasure is Jesus Christ! Col.1:27 says the mystery is Christ in me, the hope of glory. Eph.3:6 says the mystery is that Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel. How glorious is that! In Jesus Christ I have an entirely new purpose for living replete with blessings untold. 
 
What is His purpose in choosing a jar of clay? He wants to show His unequalled power. Even though I am afflicted, I am not crushed, perplexed but not driven to despair, persecuted but not forsaken, and struck down but not destroyed. His power in me, in my jar of clay allows me to have His supernatural strength, and all His promises are there for me to cling to. He doesn't desert me when the heavy comes down, but goes through it with me. It is when suffering and trials come into my life that I identify with His death, and in this act comes the new life of Christ. It gives me an understanding that allows me to carry on. 
 
Then at the end of this chapter it says, So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.  For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. Just in case I would get discouraged in the heavy things of life, these verses give me hope and emphasize my purpose even more. My outer self will waste away, and in the process my inner self will be renewed. And as this happens, I grow closer to Him and farther from the world. These afflictions prepare me for a glory beyond all comparison. They keep my focus forward so that I value the unseen, eternal things more than the seen, transient things. They keep my eyes focused on Jesus my treasure as I look forward to eternity with Him.
 
Father,
Thank You for these great promises and how much they minister to my soul. I always want Your glory to shine through my jar of clay. Strengthen my resolve so that my focus is eternal. Thank You for the great treasure that You have given me.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment