Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Lament

Ps. 77:11-12
I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your wonders of old. I will ponder all your work, and meditate on Your mighty deeds.
 
The psalmist cried out to the Lord when trouble surrounded him. Even though he seeks the Lord, he refuses to be comforted. He knows where to go, but he is caught up in the agony of his trouble. How many times have I done that? I fool myself in thinking I am alright because I am praying, but yet I limit God's work in my life by hanging on to my misery. Hm....how foolish is that?
 
His agony was characterized by moaning, fainting, sleeplessness, inability to speak, and finally questioning his God. All of which has the flavor of sin!  Will the Lord spurn forever and never again be favorable? Has His steadfast love forever ceased? Are His promises at an end for all time? Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has He in anger shut up His compassion? I am sure that even though he is miserable, he knows his questions are driven by his own emotions and not by what is true about God. At last he leaves the sinful, questioning phase and begins to remember what is true about God. [A much better place to be!] He remembers God's work in the past and acknowledges God's way and His holiness. He knows that his God differs from all other gods. He has seen His power over creation and His redeeming arm in the lives of his own people. Can he rest here? Can he trust in His God, a God that has revealed Himself to Israel time and time again. What is preventing this? Could it be sin in his life or in the life of the nation? Even though the psalm is negative [and many times that is how life is], he ends the psalm in a better placed that when he started the psalm. Believing what is true about God will be a crucial step in leaving depression and helplessness behind. His focus will draw him close to God and close to the One who can actually impact his life.
 
Father,
I know that I am prone to fall prey to my emotions and my stubborn self-will. Bring to my mind Your saving grace, the death of Your Son, the gospel, the message of salvation and sanctification, and Your great grace! Strengthen me in the hard times so that I can come to You as I should.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment