Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Gospel

1 Cor. 9: 27
But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
 
Paul declared his freedom in Christ, yet this freedom was not the most important thing to him. Sharing the gospel with others was unparalleled! It was his only focus!  He was willing to be a servant to all, to the Jews a Jew, to those under the law a law keeper, to those outside the law an outsider, and to the weak he was weak. What was his purpose in all this? He had become all things to all people, that by all means he might save some. He did it for the sake of the gospel, that he might share with them in its blessings. The gospel totally controlled his life!
 
To further clarify, he used the metaphor of an athlete. Not all runners get a prize, only the one who wins the race. Christians should run [in the gospel race] as if to be the winner. Paul did not run aimlessly. He disciplined his body, lest after preaching to others he himself should be disqualified. Disqualified? The word means not approved or not standing the test. In this context it is not talking about salvation, but rewards. It was his goal to have rewards in heaven that he could lay at the feet of Jesus. Jesus had given him a mission and that was his life.
 
Father,
Fill me with Your Spirit today that I might bring honor to You, that I might share the gospel, and that I might run the race to be a winner. Grant me Your strength and grace for each moment. Grant me to be worthy of the calling to which I have been called.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment