Friday, April 3, 2015

Caleb

Josh. 14:10-11
And now, behold, the LORD has kept me alive, just as he said, these forty-five years since the time that the LORD spoke this word to Moses, while Israel walked in the wilderness. And now, behold, I am this day eighty-five years old. I am still as strong today as I was in the day that Moses sent me; my strength now is as my strength was then, for war and for going and coming.

Caleb was eager to claim the promise made to him by Moses. Forty-five years earlier, he was unafraid to fight the Anakim even though the other spies said it was a no-go. He knew his God was stronger than any giant. And now at age 85 his strength was unabated. He was willing to fight for the land of the promise for it may be that the Lord will be with him. He was willing for the Lord to do whatever in his life, but he wasn't going to let fear control him and his decisions. Joshua blessed Caleb and Hebron became his inheritance because he wholly followed the Lord, the God of Israel. 

David echoed this same confidence in Ps. 27 when he said, The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  It mattered not who the evildoers, adversaries, or foes were, how many there were, or in Caleb's case, how big they were. For both David and Caleb, whose confidence was in the Lord, rested in their God who was in charge of all life. He, who created all and spoke through the crash of thunder and the streak of lightning, saw man as easy prey. This same God is my God. I can have the same confidence in Him that Caleb and Joshua had.

Father,
There are times when I am afraid. I ask that in Your strength and through Your grace You help me defeat that enemy. I know You are strong and that Your are always there for me, so what am I afraid? Teach me heart. Help me understand.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment