Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Macedonians

2 Cor. 8:11
So now finish doing it well, so that your readiness in desiring it may be matched by your completing it out of what you have. 

Paul desired to share with the Corinthians the giving of the Macedonian churches who had In their severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part. For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord, begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints--and this not as expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord, and then by the will of God to us. What an example not just for the Corinthians but for all of us! They wanted to give so badly that they begged to be included. Begging to give when you can't even meet your own needs is certainly counterproductive to our culture where #1 Self rules, and definitely counterproductive to the rules of survival. I know that when we experienced our years of financial distress[ many years ago], I resented giving so much to the church when we were so strapped at home. Definitely not the right attitude, but still if I felt that way, I am sure others do as well. Sadly, I am not thinking that this spirit of giving runs rampant in the Christian church today. As the cost of living rises, does the joy of giving lessen? 

I think the key is in the fact that they gave themselves to the Lord, unreservedly and in complete abandon. Whatever the Lord asked, they were ready to give with joy, even if that were their dwindling resources. It was not enough just to share this wonderful and inspiring story. Paul had to challenge the Corinthians. But as you excel in everything--in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you---see that you excel in this grace also. The Corinthian church was beset with problems, but at the same time, beset with great strengths. Paul wanted them to add giving generously and joyously to their list of strengths. Paul reminded them of Jesus who for His great love for them left all the riches of heaven and became poor so that they might become rich. So what is his final word? So now finish doing it well, so that your readiness in desiring it may be matched by your completing it out of what you have. How many of us have had the desire to do something but yet have never followed through? I think it is a fairly common occurrence. He doesn't want only their desire to be swayed by the Macedonian story and by remembering what Jesus did. He wanted them to be swayed into action. Give generously and joyfully! Give out of abundance and out of deprivation! Give out of love for the care of others! Let your giving match your love for Jesus!

Father,
Change my heart so that I give unreservedly without a hint of reservation. Take away my penchant for thinking of myself or my family first. Thank You, Jesus, for giving all for me. Help me to give all as if I am giving to You. Keep my focus ever on You.
In Jesus name, 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment