Sunday, April 26, 2015

So We Do Not Lose Heart.

2 Cor 4:1
Therefore having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose hope. 

Paul makes a declaration that should be at the heart of every believer, that is, that whatever ministry or mission God has called you to do, you must stay steadfast. You do not lose hope even if what you are doing doesn't progress in a way that equates to human success. The ways of God are not always the ways of man. Speaking of his ministry, Paul stated that they only spoke the open truth. If the gospel was veiled, it was veiled only to those perishing. In which case, the god of this world had blinded their minds to keep them from seeing the saving gospel, the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. Paul and his teams never proclaimed themselves but Jesus Christ as Lord. They were merely His servants for God had shone in their hearts the glorious gospel through the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. For all these reasons, they did not lose hope! 

Next Paul wrote some verses that I have clung to so many times. But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. The reason for their and my earthly existence is to show that the surpassing power belongs to God! It matters not how great the struggle [even though I may think that we I will not survive] because it is all demonstrates that the life of Jesus is manifested in our bodies as we daily carry in our bodies the death of Jesus. We who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake. Ouch! This is a hard verse.  In the case of Paul, he and his team faced physical death repeatedly, and in many places around the world this is true as well. But in America, it is not yet true.  I praise God for this, but also wonder how slack it has made our Christianity. Paul is confident that God will raise them from the death and bring them into the presence of God. So for the sake of the people yet to hear, he shared the gospel regardless of the persecution. I have this same confidence. I know that God will raise me up into His presence for eternity. So I do no lose heart!

Then Paul ended the chapter with the same idea. So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. These verses are my life! Not from persecution but from disease, my outer self is wasting away daily. This wasting away causes me to look to the things that are unseen and eternal. It causes me to yearn for heaven and Jesus. It also gives me a peace and a purpose about what is happening to my outer self. I am sure that Paul felt a similar way. I would think that persecution would make this experience even greater. As I write these words, I think of Saeed imprisoned in Iran or other Christians who pay the supreme cost for believing. I pray for him and them that they do not lose heart.

Father,
Keep my eyes focused on eternal things, on You and Jesus Christ. As my body wastes away, grow me in Your grace so that I may share with those you placed in my life right until you take me home. Thank You Lord, for providing me a way to keep hopeful. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment