Thursday, April 2, 2015

Imitators

1 Cor. 4:16
I urge you, then, be imitators of me.

In my day the idea of imitating another believer' s example is never out-rightly stated. I hear much about copying Christ as opposed to others. So why would Paul say this? Would it be spiritual pride? I think not since he is not claiming any credit for himself, but giving all the glory to God. Perhaps he is using a behavior common to all people. It is in our nature to look at others and copy what suits us. We may not admit it or encourage it, but we do copy what we see in other believers. It is this copying that can lead to competition and many other ungodly behaviors. Yet, Paul was using this idea for good.  Phil. 3:17 says, Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. The believers of this time lived when they were the first believers. What choices did they have to copy? Unfortunately, in Corinth they were copying and sanctioning ungodly behaviors: immorality, divisiveness, and competition at its worst. So Paul was shifting their vision off one another to those who were solidly Christ's, to those who walked according to the example you have in us.

The life Paul lived as well as the other apostles was no picnic. There were no parades or comfortable lodgings with great retirement benefits. In fact,  God has exhibited us [the]apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death, because we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels, and to men.
We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. How foolish that the Corinthians would think themselves strong and honorable! Paul went on to say, To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless, and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered, we entreat. We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things. How powerful is this! I am sure that my life doesn't resemble this in any way, shape, or form. No wonder Paul could say that they could follow his example. Paul went on to say that he didn't write these things to make them ashamed but to admonish them as his beloved children. It is quite an admonishment for me as well. What are the examples that I am following? What do I seek to do with my time?

Father,
Thank you for challenging my thoughts today. Teach me how You want me to live.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment