Tuesday, March 29, 2016

All things to All People

1 Cor. 9:19-27

Even though Paul had freedom in Christ, he had made himself a willing servant of all because he was a servant of Jesus Christ. To the Jews he became a Jew, to the Gentiles he became a Gentile, to the weak he became weak, and all this so that he might preach the gospel and win souls to Jesus Christ. To all people he had become all things that by all means he might save some. He did it all for the sake of the gospel, that he might share with them in its blessings. What dedication! Shouldn't the mindset of all believers? Even though we might not be apostles or traveling preachers, missionaries or pastors, Sunday school teachers, or church secretaries, we still must share the gospel wherever we are and that includes our jobs, our homes, our neighborhoods, anyplace that we are and people are. Why do we think sharing the gospel is so hard? Why are we often afraid to speak up?  
Do we care about fitting in with the world that much?

Paul drove home his point with a sports metaphor. All runners run in a race, but only one runner receives the prize. So as believers we are to run to win the prize. Likewise, athletes have self-control in all things so that they too might win a prize. Their prize is perishable, but the believers prize is imperishable. So Paul said, he did not run the Christian life aimlessly as a boxer beating the air. But he disciplined his body keeping it under control to ensure that he would not be disqualified after sharing the message with so many other people. What is my commitment to my Christian walk? Am I as disciplined as a runner? Do I have self-control in all things? Am I seeking the imperishable prize? Am I sharing the gospel so that I might lead others to Jesus? 

Father,
I am so remiss in sharing the gospel. Forgive me please. Strengthen me in this area. Help me to share Your words and the message of hope found in Jesus Christ. 
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment