Monday, March 21, 2016

Suffer Loss

1 Cor. 3

Paul is amazed that by this time he must still address these people as nonspiritual. They cannot be fed solid food, but can only handle the milk of the word because of their fleshly lives. Jealously and strife seemed to dwell among them each claiming a greater spirituality because of the one who brought them the gospel. How foolish! It is only God who gives the increase not man. All men are either planters or waterers, but only God can give a harvest of souls. People who share the gospel are God's fellow workers. You [the receivers] are God's field, God's building. Newly born souls are not notches on the belt of the sharer. They are not numbers to give added significance to a ministry. 

It was because of God's grace that Paul was able to lay a foundation, and then others could build upon that foundation, or vice versa. We are all interconnected and work as a unit with no one claiming any extra credit. And to give even greater impact, Paul cautions the Corinthians to take care because no one can replace the true foundation Jesus Christ. Yikes! Remember who the gospel is all about! Not just for the Corinthians but for us as well. 

If believers build on Jesus, then their works will either be gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or stubble. The fire will reveal the quality and test what sort of work each one has done. If the work built on Jesus survives, then there will be a reward, but if the work does not, that one will suffer loss but not lose their salvation. Saved only by fire! How sad! Our salvation is graciously assured but our works after salvation do matter. I can only imagine how it will feel to suffer loss in the persence of Jesus. Such accountability should shape what we do, think, and say.

Father,
I know that many times I have not had right motives or been going through the motions when I was serving You. I confess. Forgive. I know that many times throughout the day, my heart is fleshly. I confess. Forgive. Help me to live as You would have me live. Help me to be obedient from the heart.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment