Monday, January 28, 2013

Coveting

Col. 3:5
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
 
Coveting is merely wanting something someone else had, but is it a 'merely' in God's eyes? In our culture coveting is often verbalized and even considered a compliment. How twisted! If I think about coveting, I think it is not nearly as bad as the sins involving sex, but yet here it is in the same list. What really makes it clear to me is when the verse equates coveting with idolatry. How does God feel about idolatry? I Cor. 10:7 says Do not be idolaters. Simple as that, black and white! Don't do it!
 
I Cor. 10 puts it into perspective when it describes the Israelites on their wilderness walk. It was here that they desired evil things [ coveting]. But why are the things evil? Are they evil in themselves or is it the desire for them that makes them evil? I would think it was because coveting is breaking an express command of God even though it is a socially acceptable thing. The desire for these things is an affront to the holiness of God. He considers this desire idolatry! How that reveals the true evil in coveting! I would never knowingly commit idolatry, but yet I would struggle with coveting. Obviously, the world's values have compromised the way that I think, but God has identified the heart of the issue. Since no man can serve two masters, I cannot allow coveting in my life. I can not allow another idol to co-exist with God. In God's eyes there is no coexisting, He is either Master of all or not at all. Instead, I need to take heed lest I fall. I need to listen up, to get my mind transformed, and to confess those feelings as soon as they creep into my head. God faithfully promises to provide me a way of escape from this temptation of coveting, but I have to want to escape. He is true to His promises, am I true to my commitments?
 
Father,
I confess that I have coveted. I am shamed by what I have allowed in my heart. Renew me and grant me repentance. Teach me to live in full obedience to what You say.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment