Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Shield and Lifter of My Head


Ps 3:3
But You, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.
 
David was in a tight spot! His enemies were increasing, and defeat was looming. What was he to do? He cried out to God.. Amazingly, when I am in a tight spot, I don't always go to God first. My default seems to be to try and solve the situation or circumstance myself. Then when no hope is left, I go to God. Thankfully, David did not do this. His default was prayer.
 
His words were simple: my enemies are increasing and they are saying I have no hope in God.
What a message of defeat! If anyone even believed this for a second, hope would be waning. Thankfully, David did not believe theses heinous words. He cried out to God, a God whom he knew personally and intimately, a God who had delivered him before from a lion and a bear. Surely, this enemy would not be too much for God to handle!
 
 
Immediately after stating the need and the problem, he remembered what was true about God,  You, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. He anchored his soul in these absolutes! After David prayed, the Lord answered him allowing him to rest, to sleep, and to be sustained. His spirit was strengthened. He was able to say, I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around. His faith and security were in God! He was able to say once more what was true about His God: You strike the enemies on the cheek; You break the teeth of the wicked. God would work! It would all be according to His plan and His timing! David could rest in his God because he knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that Salvation belongs to the Lord. His people would receive His blessing! 
 
What a great example for me! No doubt altering my default comes in my intimate relationship with Him. The more I know Him, the more I know about Him and how He works. How foolish I am to think that I could handle a situation better than Him, the One who set all my days in place before I was born. What a blessing is my God!
 
Father,
Continue to grow me so that my default would change, that I would go to you immediately.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment