Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Devoted

Acts 1:14
All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and His brothers.
 
Christ's earthly ministry was coming to a close. His final instruction for His disciples was to wait for the Spirit to give them power to be witnesses for Him in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. It was when He finished His instructions, that He ascended into heaven as all His disciples were watching. Two men robed in white spoke to them saying, Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw Him go into heaven.
 
 His disciples returned to Jerusalem to an upper room to wait for the Spirit, but it was not aimless waiting or the making of plans and strategies. Instead, with one accord they devoted themselves to prayer. He has left me here as well with the same commission to share the gospel message. What is my response? Am I staring at the heavens waiting for a sign of His return? Am I trying to form my own plans to share the gospel, or am I devoted to prayer? I know that devotion to prayer will enable me to see my life through the eyes of God drawing me into unity with His Spirit. But what would devotion to prayer look like? Is it prayer to the exclusion of all else, or is it going through life with a one-on-one conversation with God? Certainly, devotion means dedication, commitment, and constancy. Could I describe my prayer life with these words? Am I constantly aware of the Father as I go through my earthly tasks and responsibilities?
 
Father,
Teach me what it means to be devoted to prayer as I eagerly await the return of Jesus. Unite my heart to fear Your name.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment