Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Put to Death

Col. 3:5-7
Put to death what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming. In this you once walked, when you were living in them.
 
Put to death sounds so decisive! There is no wiggle room, no place for hanging onto bad habits or allowing outbursts of the flesh. So what to do? I know that I can't accomplish this new life in my own strength, but by the same token, I just can't sit idle waiting for this new life to drop down on me complete and finalized. I know that the process of dying to self is a continuous struggle of obedience to His will in place of my disobedience and self-will. But specifically, how do I start this process of submission?
 
II Cor. 13:5 says Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you. I need to take a good hard look to see if my life stacks up with the clear teaching of the Bible. If I say yes, then am I living like Christ is in me? If I am, then 'Christ in me' should be a huge determiner of what my life should be. Christ in me...How powerful is that! Living carelessly and foolishly is an affront to His sacrifice and His holiness.
 
II Cor. 7:1 says Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God. I do have the promises of the Word. With the light of the word in my life revealing areas of sin and self still hanging on, I can cleanse myself. There is no room for godliness when sinfulness is there.
 
Heb. 3:12-13 says But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called today, that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. This is a hard one...having other believers exhort me. Certainly, it would point out the pride still hanging on in my life. Sin is deceitful and has the potential to harden my heart toward the promises of the word, hardening my heart and convincing me that certain behaviors in my life are just bad habits and not sin, that they are really alright, and that they are not disobedience. How deceitful is my sin!
 
II Pet. 1:9-10 says For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. There fore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make you calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fail. What qualities are referred to in these verses? Faith, virtue, knowledge, self-control, steadfastness, godliness, brotherly affection, and love. Whoa! How could I possibly have all these in my life? Peter explains that since God has granted me salvation, I am a partaker of His divine nature and have escaped the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desires. I have His great powerhouse of promises to infuse my life with His power and strength. He has promised that I will not be ineffective and unfruitful in the knowledge of Jesus. But am I claiming that promise?  Am I allowing Him and His word to give me victory over my sinful desires? Or am I so nearsighted that I am blind to the true state of my soul, spirit, and body? Have I forgotten that I am saved, cleansed, and have a new nature? If I know all this then I must be diligent to make my calling and election sure.
 
Father,
Your promises are so true and so powerful. But even as I read these passages, I know how far I have to go to be pleasing in Your sight. Help me to live in the reality of Your words. Give me Your strength and grace. Open my eyes. Make me God-sighted! Teach me how to live for You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

 


No comments:

Post a Comment