Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Faith

Mt. 9:28-29
When He entered the house, the blind men came to Him and Jesus said to them, Do you believe that I am able to do this? They said to Him, Yes, Lord. Then He touched their eyes saying, According to your faith be it done to you.
 
In Chapter 9, Jesus met many people, people who believed and people who criticized. First was the paralytic who was brought to Jesus by his friends. When Jesus saw their faith, he said, Take heart, my son, your sins are forgiven. But in that very audience were the criticizers accusing Jesus of blasphemy. Answering their criticisms before they had even been verbalized, Jesus explained that healing and forgiving sins both required the same thing: faith. As the healed man walked away, many saw it and glorified God, but not the criticizers.  
 
Secondly, a ruler whose daughter was ill come to Jesus. Kneeling down, he asked Jesus to come and lay His hand on her. Jesus went with the man, but on the way he met a woman who had been ill for 12 years. She knew that if she could touch the hem of His garment, she could be healed. What faith! She believed in Jesus without even presenting her case. All she needed was a passing touch! But Jesus did notice here and told her that her faith had made her whole. Finally, Jesus arrived at the ruler's house only to find the girl had died. Sending the scoffing mourners away, He went into the girl and healed her. She arose!
 
Next were two blind men who followed Jesus begging for mercy. Jesus asked them the pointed question, Do you believe that I am able to do this? They had faith and said yes! They were healed as Jesus said, According to your faith be it done to you. It was their faith that was necessary for this great miracle.
 
The last incident involved a mute man who was demon oppressed. No words were exchanged but the demon was gone and the man spoke. However, the criticizers had a word, He casts our demons by the prince of demons. What a difference faith makes! People who believed had miraculous things accomplished in their lives, but those who had no faith could only criticize. They were only left with the bitter taste of unbelief.
 
Seeing all these incidents speaks to my heart. Is my faith so weak that I can only doubt, or do I believe Jesus can do these things. Such a simple question he asked the blind men, Do you believe I can do this? I am sure that Jesus is asking the same thing of me. Do I believe He can be true to the promises in His Word? Is my faith strong enough that all I need is a passing touch? Do I go to Jesus when life has left me speechless or feeling depleted? Thankfully, faith is a gift of God in itself. I do have faith. I need only pray that God will increase my faith.
 
Father,
Increase my faith. Spirit, bring it to my attention when I am not taking the passing touch and allowing the world to tear me down. Lord I do believe, but help me keep connected constantly to You.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment