Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Abundant Love

Phil. 1:7
I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel.

How strong is the bond that believers hold! Paul thanked God for the Philippians. He always remembered them joyfully in his prayers. And why? Because of the gospel. They shared the same love of Jesus, the same message of hope, and the same mission and calling. He yearned for them with the affection of Jesus Christ. How do believers feel about each other today? Do we joyfully pray for one another, or is it a heavy duty, or worse than that, is it a forgotten bond? Do we yearn for one another with the affection of Jesus? Do we seek to see spiritual growth in each other and make this a matter of diligent prayer? 

In Gal. 4:19 Paul said, my little children, for whom I am again in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you! What deep feelings are these! His concern was unwavering for so many people. How would we characterize our feelings? Do we have anything remotely like the anguish of childbirth? In Rom. 13:8 Paul said, Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. We are bound together by this debt of love! And why? Because of the deep love that God showed us when He sent His Son to save us. In 2 Cor. 2:4 Paul said, For I wrote to you out of much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you pain but to let you know the abundant love that I have for you. Abundant love for one another! This is the model! In 2 Cor. 12:15 Paul declared, I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. He was willing to invest the time it took to truly love them. Personal relationships do not come quickly or easily. But this is no issue if the love of Christ is the motivation. Is the love of Christ pouring out of us to one another? Are we so bonded that we won't be deterred from seeing spiritual growth in each other?

Father,
Grow this kind of love in me. Help me to see other believers with the eyes of love that You saw me. Draw me close to You.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment