Monday, June 29, 2015

What an Example!

I Thess. 1:8-10
For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God  has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything. For they themselves report concerning us the kind of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come. 

Paul gave thanks for these believers. From the very beginning they were gripped with the gospel and shared it wherever they went. Even though chapter 1 is not a list, Paul mentioned very many of their great qualities.
  • their work of faith
  • their labor of love
  • their steadfastness of hope in Jesus Christ
  • the gospel came to them not only in word but also in power, the Holy Spirit with full conviction
  • they imitated Paul, his crew, and the Lord
  • they received the word in great affliction but with the joy of the Spirit
  • they were examples to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia
  • their faith in God had gone forth everywhere
  • turned to God from idols
  • served the living and true God
  • waited for Jesus from heaven
Wow! What a reputation! I wonder if the key to their amazing lives was becoming believers in the midst of great affliction. It seems like wherever there is affliction, the gospel flourishes. There is every reason to drop off the old life because time and life are so precious. I know that no believer desires persecution, but what a blessing it is [in disguise]! Living in America life has been too easy. We are too soft. I pray that when persecution comes we can stand the test and remain steadfast to the end. I pray that our reputation may be like the Thessalonians. I pray that my life might be like theirs.

Father,
You have spoken to me strongly about what my life is. Help me to stand steadfastly for You in every situation You bring my way.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment