Thursday, June 18, 2015

Thoughts and Feelings

Phil. 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 

How much anxiety, stress, anger, tears, rage, depression, and any other negative energy drain would be averted by thinking on things that were true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, and commendable? It would totally bring health and goodness into a person's life. Peace would abound! Yet for knowing all this, how often does this verse become a way of life for the Christian? And why? Basically, it goes counter to the way of the flesh, and the flesh seems to be the easiest way to go even though it brings turmoil and unrest. Such foolishness!

Another great way of living and thinking is found in verse 11, Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. Contentment counters the flesh as well. Paul had learned to be low and to abound, to be hungry and to be full, to have need and have abundance. If contentment can be mastered no matter the situation, then peace abounds. Thoughts and attitudes are so very important. But how can a person master the flesh in all these areas? I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. My life with Christ must be first and foremost. It must consume all that I think, feel, and do. When Christ is controlling my life, then I will be thinking and feeling right. I will be walking and living in His light and by His Spirit.

Father,
I confess my poor thought, my frustrations, and my anger. I have let my flesh get the better of me. I ask for Your help and strength. Fill me, Spirit. Make me rest contentedly in You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment