Monday, June 8, 2015

Comfort and Delight

Ps. 119: 143
Trouble and anguish have found me out, but Your commandments are my delight.

David began this strophe with a declaration concerning the righteousness of God: Righteous are you, O Lord, and right are your rules. These facts are indisputable! Whether or not a person believes in God doesn't change the fact that God is and that He is righteous. It merely limits this person's exposure to the light and the life. David knew that the testimonies of the Lord were appointed in righteousness and faithfulness, both adjectives are attributes of God. Who God is affects all that He does and says. He must be true to His own character.

Even though David felt small at times, he never forgot the words of the Lord. When he was persecuted, afflicted, and in anguish, the words of the Lord were his comfort and his delight. They took him into the very presence of God. In Ps. 28:4 David said, One thing have I asked of the Lord, that I will seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple. This is where David loved and longed to be. He knew that God's words would be righteous forever; so in light of eternity, he asked that God would grant him understanding of these words so that he too would live. What glorious words that can give life and understanding!

Father,
Give me understanding of Your words and Your ways. Thank You for giving me life and a place in Your kingdom for eternity.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment