Thursday, January 28, 2016

Bruised and Smoking

Mt. 12:9-21

After healing a man with a withered hand, Jesus spoke to his accusers, the Pharisees. They felt it was not right to heal on the Sabbath, but Jesus revealed their hypocrisy. If one of their animals had fallen into a pit on the Sabbath, they would have surely pulled it out. Jesus simply asked a question. Of how much more value is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. Still the Pharisees left His presence set on taking him down.

Jesus knew their thoughts and withdrew from the place. However, many did follow and many were healed. All of which happened to fulfill the prophecy in Isaiah, Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles. He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets. A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory. And in his name shall the Gentiles trust. How glorious for the Gentiles!

Yesterday as I was praying, verse 20 came to my mind. And today here was the verse in my Bible reading. How neat is that!  A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory. And in his name shall the Gentiles trust. What a promise to those who are downtrodden, abused, discouraged, and all this on a regular basis. Some of us live in peaceful homes [that is except for the occasional bout of fleshliness] but there are some whose homes are constantly filled with strive. In the midst of these circumstances, we can cling to the fact that Jesus will not break a bruised reed or extinguish a smoking flax. He will not tempt us beyond what we are able to bear without providing us a way of escape. What a great God we have! He is Lord of the Sabbath and of every day. He is Lord of all circumstances, the good and the bad. He is Lord of all!

Father,
Thank You for this great promise. Help me to be diligent to pray for those who are bruised reeds and smoking flax. Help me to be there for them. Enlarge my heart to love other as You have loved me. 
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment