Tuesday, January 19, 2016

No Partiality

Acts. 10:17-48

Peter's encounter with Cornelius defied Jewish tradition and opened the way for Gentiles to know and trust in Jesus apart from circumcision and proselytizing to the Jewish faith. God used a dream for Peter and a vision for Cornelius. Both men obeyed the heavenly orders they were given, and it resulted in great things. As soon as Peter arrived at Cornelius' home, he declared openly that God had shown him that he should not call any person common or unclean. That in itself is a huge revelation and no doubt very difficult for Peter to say.

He went on to say that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fear Him and does what is acceptable to Him. That was phenomenal! Any nation! Peter began to tell Cornelius the entire story of Jesus and relay to him the gospel ending with to Him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sin through His name. Then it truly got amazing. While Peter was speaking the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. The Jewish believers who came with Peter were amazed because the gift of the Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles to the degree that they were speaking in tongues and extolling God. The hearts of the Gentiles assembled there believed and received. Jesus was their savior and Lord. The gospel had not only changed lives but had changed the entire course of Jewish tradition. Baptism was the only thing yet to follow and soon it was a reality too.

Since I am a Gentile and live in a Gentile culture that offers freedom of religion, I know I am not as blown away by this as Peter and the other Jewish believers were. But I do praise God that He opened a way for me to believe and receive. I, in turn, must not think that the gospel is not for everyone. What I mean by that is that I must not prejudge anyone thinking that this person would never believe in Jesus. It is not for me to decide. It is for me to share the gospel with all those that Jesus brings across my path whether rich or poor, Gentile or Jew, weird or main-stream, any color, any race, convict, freeman, or any other class of people. Jesus is for all!  

Father,
What a gift you have given mankind! Thank You so much. Please give me boldness and courage to share the gospel. Help me to see the opportunities that You have given me and then to speak out. 
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment