Saturday, January 30, 2016

More than Family

Mt. 12:46-50

When Jesus' family sent a message to him asking to speak with him, he answered the messenger. Who is my mother, and who are my brothers? He then stretched his hand out over his disciples and said, Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother. Now many people would think those words are harsh, and granted they do sound harsh. I know for me, family is all important, that is except for Jesus. Jesus is not negating family values here but stressing the importance of kingdom values. Our commitment to Jesus must supersede all else. Earlier in Matthew Jesus said that Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Family does not trump Jesus. I think these statements also demonstrate the deep bonds that are between Christians, how, in many cases, those who love the Lord [brothers and sisters in the Lord] are much closer than family. Thank You Jesus for enlarging the borders of family. 

Father,
Thank You for blessing me with a wonderful family and a wonderful family in the Lord. I am so thankful for the ladies in my Bible study and the love that we have for each other. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment