Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Philip

Acts 8

For those preaching the word, there was great power. They were endowed with signs, and the ability to heal as well as cast out unclean spirits. Such a man was Philip. The chapter said that the crowds paid attention when Philip spoke. For sure, that was the working of the Spirit of God. I imagine there was a certain curiosity to see what would happen next, but more than likely, people wanted healing from physical infirmities or debilitating demons. 

On a particular day, an angel charged Philip to go south specifically to the road that went from Jerusalem to Gaza. It was there that Philip came across an Ethiopian Eunuch reading the book of Isaiah. [Isaiah is hard enough to understand if the Spirit of God dwells within a person. How hard it must have been for this man!] He was returning from Jerusalem and was reading as he traveled. The Spirit directed Philip to go to his chariot and ask if he understood what he was reading. The answer was no. He needed a guide. So Philip was the man for this task. He shared with him the gospel of Jesus, and as they were traveling, they came across some water. The Eunuch asked if he could be baptized. Philip did indeed baptize him, but when the Eunuch came up out of the water, Philip was gone. The Spirit had taken him to Azotus to preach the gospel in that area. 

Philip had preached to crowds as did the other apostles and disciples, but this time it was to a single individual. I praise God that He is the God of the individual. We don't have to come to Him in a group or at church, but we can fellowship with Him one-on-one. How did Philip feel when all these miraculous things were taking place? I am sure he wasn't normally carried over distances in a second or had the ability to heal. Was he rejoicing every minute? Was he on a spiritual high constantly? This manifestation was for his time, and that is not what it is for my time. But still I must share the gospel and help others find Jesus. I think no matter how the Spirit uses me, it will be exciting! To be used of God...How glorious!

Father,
Use me however You want. I am Yours. I am sure that there are areas in my heart that are not fully Yours. Reveal them. Grant me repentance. Help me to love You singularly.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment