Monday, May 24, 2010

Memories

Ps. 138:5


Memories are such precious things. Even though I enjoy looking at family photos, I love even more the times of sharing stories at family gatherings. Somehow we always end up in uncontrollable laughter. Why do we share these stories over and over again? Why do we never tire of them? I think it is because they are the moments that make us a family. They trace our times of joy and hardship. They bind us together with a love that cannot be severed. They are moments that we all hold in common. David treasured just such moments in his prayers and in his meditations. He "remembered the days of old: and meditated on all that God had done; He pondered the work of His hands." Why did he do this? It was not because God was not working in his life in the present, but it was because these moments revealed the growth of their personal relationship. They revealed his times of joy and hardship when he experienced first-hand the steadfast love and mercy of God. They encouraged his heart and enriched his faith. They gave him confidence that "He who began a good work in him would bring it to completion."


I wonder how many times I remember the great moments that I have had with God in the past. Do I talk about them and share them with my body of Christ? Do I let others praise God and rejoice with me? Certainly, when the moment has just happened, the sharing flows easily, but somehow many memories seem to get lost in the archives. I am so convicted about my prayers. How many times do I include memories of what God has done in the past? How often do I make this part of my praise and adoration of Him? David used these moments to ponder the works of God's hands. He used them as a portal to radiate out into the realm of creation and all of life. I know that these memories should be as vital to my prayers as our stories are to my family. When I am sitting in His presence, I must remember to remember the great things that God has done for me.


Father,
Send Your Spirit to bring to mind our great memories so that I might share them with You in our intimate times of praise and adoration. I thank You for visibly working in my life and creating theses memories, memories that show me I am truly Your daughter and that I am part of Your family. I confess my forgetfulness, but I am so very grateful for all You do.

In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment