Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Praise the Lord!

In Ps. 145 David shows us his heart for God. It is as if one word was not 'weighty' enough to express his praises to God so he used many. For me, each variation showed differences in emotion or situation, but even more than that they show how praise was in every part of his life. Initially he extolled, and he then went on to bless, praise, meditate, declare, pour forth, and sing aloud. Sadly, I have to ask myself if my praises are always the same words with the same emotions? Are my praises reflecting the living and ever growing relationship that I have with God? David has shown me that my praises can not be static, they must be dynamic.

I see that David's praise included so many of the attributes of God. Beginning with graciousness, he then added merciful, slow to anger, loving, good, faithful, kind, and righteous. David learned these attributes from his deep relationship with God. He knew God was gracious because God had been gracious to him. He knew God was slow to anger because God has been so with him. His life had been personally shaped by God's sovereign nature. Because of this, David's heart was full of praise for who God was.

David then recounted the many ways that he had seen God work in human affairs. He saw God as the One who upholds the fallen and the humble, the One who feeds the seekers, and the One who satisfies the desire of living things. The Lord is near to those who call on Him in truth and fulfills the desire of those who fear Him. He preserves those who love Him, but destroys the wicked. Had David ever fallen and been humbled? Had he ever called to God from a heart that feared Him? Had he been fed and satisfied? Did he feel God's nearness? Yes, so many times and in such great ways. David knew that praise must come from a personal relationship with God. If not, the praise is nothing but a ritual, a formality, or a duty. David's praise flowed unstoppable from a heart that sought after God's own heart.

The last verse of the psalm sums up David's thoughts. Here he says, "my mouth will speak the praise of the Lord, and let all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever." David knew there was no stopping, his praise must go on and on. His words would constantly speak praise not just to express his heart alone, but to be that example for all flesh so that they might bless God's holy name too. Over the ages, how many people have been impacted by David's heart of praise for God? How many people have seen David's heart and prayed for a similar heart, a heart that seeks the very heart of God, that thirsts and pants for courts of the Lord, that knows that the sacrifices of God are a broken and contrite heart? David passionately praised the Lord and so must I!


Father,
Search my heart. Reveal to me what keeps me from being consumed with You and keeps me from pouring forth Your praise. Be merciful to me and grow me lovingly into what You would have me be. I praise Your name for who You are, and for your many works that I see in my life, the lives of others, and in all creation.
In Jesus name,
Amen

1 comment:

  1. I love all your questions, Marcy. Meditating on His Word is like chewing the cud, or turning an idea over and over in the mind. Your questions promote that process. And promoting praise for God is extremely honorable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete