Friday, May 28, 2010

Train Yourselves for Godliness

I Tim. 4:7b-8

Paul explains in a simple way a very great principle. He takes a good thing like bodily training and compares it to godliness. Bodily exercise has great value for health, quality of life, and overall well-being. By its very nature, it demands a good deal of discipline to achieve results. For me, I know how hard it is to get out of bed early, get ready, drive to the gym, and then swim and exercise for my hour every day. It demands my commitment and consistency. If I am willing to meet these demands, then the benefits are mine. Yet, Paul says "Rather train yourselves for godliness, for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." Here is a case of the 'good-better' principle. Though exercise is essential for a healthy life and is a good thing, godliness is necessary in this life and the life to come and is a better thing. Choices are often made between good things and better things. That's where the rub is. Often, the good things are healthy, fun, wholesome, and even relationship building; yet, Paul is teaching believers to be discerning. Does what I am doing benefit this life and the life to come? Does what I value replace godliness in its time and frequency? Since I am a passionate person, it's pretty easy for me to get passionate about many things, but am I as passionate about godliness? Does my training for godliness hold a place in my heart that supersedes all the other things that I like to do?

Not only that, but the demands of exercise need to parallel my approach to holiness. The same commitment and consistency needs to be at work in my life for me to really get a handle on holiness and to see the the end result. It reminds me of Olympic athletes whose training is all consuming. Never losing sight of their goal, they take great joy in the process and in the achieving. Their intense work and dedication becomes the passion of their lives. The end result is they excel. I think godliness demands the same mindset, a mindset of devotion, endurance, and great joy in the achieving. The difference is that being godly comes only through the power of God. Even though I train, God empowers. He wants me to be willing and dependent so that when He trains me for godliness, I will "run in the way of His commandments." Since I consider exercise a painful process, I would never have to consider it as taking the place of godliness in my life, but I am sure there are other things that seek to steal my time away from the better choice. I must remember that "Godliness is of value in every way." I have to ask myself the hard questions about my life and what I value. Is godliness my passion?


Father,
I ask You to empower me to train for godliness. Lord, I so want to be godly and realize the promise that it holds for this life and the life to come. I confess that many times I have allowed other things to block my focus. I confess that I have not always chosen what is of value in every way? Thank you for Your grace and mercy. Continue to work in me and flood me with your grace to grow.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment