Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Mystery of Godliness

I Tim. 3:16

What is the mystery of godliness? If I were to hear that phrase out of context, I might think that it would refer to me being godly since my actual achieving a godly state is a mystery to me. Sometimes it is so confusing to consider that at the same time that I am supposed to strive to be holy, God must work in and through me to be holy. Where is that mysterious line where my striving stops and God's power begins? Still this is not the mystery that Paul mentions here. He is referring to God's revealed plan of salvation. "Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness." I would confess with Paul that the gift of my salvation is great indeed. I have often wondered why God would choose me, why He would make me His child, and why He would allow me to be in His presence for eternity. All I can do is praise Him for His steadfast love and mercy!


Paul then goes on to explain this mystery. It begins with Jesus' manifestation in the flesh. Understanding fully that God as the Son came to earth to take human form is impossible. I have to accept that by faith. How could God become human? Not only that but what about His virgin birth, His humble beginnings, His life of pain and suffering, His paying our debt, and His horrific death? Even the faith that I have to accept all this as true is a gift from God. Why would God shroud all this in such a mystery? I think it is so that man could not boast in His knowledge or understanding, so that God is glorified in all things.


In addition to this, He was "vindicated by the Spirit." The footnote in my Bible says this refers to the resurrection. His Spirit was brought back to life by the power of God. Paul said in I Cor. 15:19 "If we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied." Without the resurrection, we have no new life; we have no hope. Rom. 6:5 says "For if we have been united with Him in a death like His, we shall certainly be united with Him in a resurrection like His." What a mystery this is that we can be united with Him in death and resurrection! In Phil. 3:10 Paul desires that he "may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and may share in His suffering, becoming like Him in His death." God showed us such great love when He made it possible for us to know Jesus in His death and resurrection. What a blessed mystery! Not only that but He was "seen by angels." His victory over death was witnessed by all the host of heaven. I can just imagine the praise session they had in heaven when Jesus stepped out of the grave alive from the dead.


The mystery extends to His being 'proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, and taken up to glory. " Specifically, he was preached to the Gentiles and not just to Israel. In Act. 13:46 Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly saying,"It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold we are turning to the Gentiles." It is all of grace that salvation extends to me. In the early church many believed the message. Down through the ages of time, many believed as well, but yet another mystery deals with who believes. God gives us free will and a choice, yet at the same time, He is sovereign and has every decision I make and every step I take already in place. How does it all fit? It is a great mystery that I will not know until I am taken up to glory to be with Jesus. Jesus is there waiting for me now. He is preparing a place for me. He has promised that He will come again and take me to be with Him. What a glorious time that will be!


All of this is the mystery of godliness, the mystery of God's plan for the salvation of man to be worked out through the personal sacrifice of His Son. I must agree with Paul when he says, "Great indeed." It takes a load off me to know that it is a mystery, and that I don't have to struggle to understand how all of these great truths work. I just have to believe and accept by faith. I can rest in the fact that God's ways are not my ways, and His thoughts are not my thoughts.

Father,
Thank you for revealing even a small portion of this great mystery to me. Most of all thank you that Your plan included Jesus being proclaimed to the Gentiles. Help me see the opportunities that You bring my way to share this great mystery with others. Help me to walk worthy energized with you great power.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment