Monday, May 31, 2010

Fanning the Flame

II Tim. 1:6-7

"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."


Paul is reminding Timothy that if his gift remains unused it will lose its strength. He must fan it into flame so that he may burn brightly in what God has called him to do. In the notes of my Bible, it says that the meaning of 'gift' is not clear. For Timothy it could have been related to his call since it also mentions the laying of hands which could have been his ordination. But as I read this verse, I see a connection between the 'gift' and the Spirit within us. Before Jesus left for heaven, He gave his disciples a great gift, one that would indwell them convicting, teaching, leading, and bringing to their remembrance all that He had said. That gift was the Comforter, the Holy Spirit. That same gift dwells in me!

How is this gift flamed? It seems to me that the answer lies in v. 7. God has given us a spirit of power, love, and self-control. All three of these qualities come from within, qualities uniquely related to the work of Holy Spirit. I can not flame this gift into flame myself, it must be "according to the power at work within us" [me]. Later in this chapter Paul says "By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you."[v.14] It is clearly the work of the Spirit that empowers my spirit. Not only is He my source of power, He is the conduit for the love of God. Rom. 5:5 says "God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Finally, self-control is a fruit of the Spirit. By His indwelling presence He changes my life by growing a healthy crop of His fruit in the fertile ground of my heart.

How important is the Spirit of God within me! For me to have His power, love, and self-control, I must obey the clear commands of Scripture concerning Him and His ministry within me, commands like 'live according to the Spirit.";"Be fervent in the Spirit."; "do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God." ;"Praying at all times in the Spirit."; "Do not quench the Holy Spirit."; and acknowledging that "He dwells in us." My obedience to these commands then fans the flames of the Spirit of God within me. My obedience gives him free course to do what Jesus sent Him to do. Truly, it is the Spirit that empowers my spirit. I need not fear what the evil one throws at me because I have within me an unending source of power, love, and self-control. If fear does have a foothold in my life, then I am not resting in the Spirit and His ministry. If I am not fervent in my walk, then I am quenching Him or even grieving Him. Jesus gave me His Spirit because He knew exactly what I would need to live for Him. What are my choices? I can either fan the flame of the Holy Spirit within by my obedience, or I can live a life of fear because of my disobedience. The choice seems pretty clear to me.

Father,
Make me responsive to Your Holy Spirit as He works within me empowering me to live a life of power, love, and self-control. Put within me a desire to be so fervent that the world and its hold fades and loses its power over me. Thank You for this great gift of Your Spirit.
In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment