Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My True Child in the Faith







I Tim. 1:2

In I Timothy Paul has written to his 'true child in the faith'. What depth of relationship and singular focus is expressed in that descriptor! Even though their relationship was based on faith, it had transcended those boundaries to become a family relationship. They knew firsthand that the bond in the family of God is like no other. Even more than that, Paul considered him a 'true' child, someone who was without artifice and personal ambition. His commitment to walking worthy of Jesus Christ was his personal focus, a focus that he and Paul shared. This truly was a godly friendship with godly goals. It makes me think about my friends. What are the things we share? What are the things we like to do? Even if we are believers, how much of our 'friend' time is spent with a spiritual focus? Have we compartmentalized 'friend' time as a separate thing from our worship or our ministry? I can only imagine what friendships would be like if they shared this intense spiritual focus.


Since Paul considered him a child, it would mean he had done some parenting or mentoring. Certainly his parenting meant spending hours together praying around the Throne of Grace. It meant sharing intense sessions of teaching the riches of the Word, as well as experiencing missionary journeys together as they served the Lord whom they both loved. This parenting meant time, time with an eternal perspective. As I reflect on my parenting. I know it was in my heart that my children would grow up godly, but I wonder if I spent my hours focusing on the things that grow godliness. I wonder if they saw in me the godly model that Paul was to Timothy. Shouldn't it be the same in my relationships in the family of God?


Do I have a 'true child in the faith'? Am I the mentor that I should be to others? Is this a ministry that believers should actively seek to have? Col. 3:16 says "let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God." I think this is what Paul was doing with Timothy. He was sharing with Him the Word, its application, worship, praise, and thanksgiving, all of these believers should share together. Later, Paul said to the Philippians, "Therefore my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown..." His love for them grew because their sharing had an eternal perspective. His relationship with them included the deepest emotions of love and concern. They were his brothers. What are my emotions for my body of Christ? Am I cultivating times of parenting and mentoring? When I see someone down or struggling, do I take the time to meet their needs, to come alongside them as a parent would for a child? Am I loving the family of God as God would have me?




Father,

What a great gift you have given me in the body of Christ! Help me to ever be alert to the needs of others, and more than that, to reach out to meet those needs. Spirit, lead me to the ones who need this relationship. Teach me how to mentor with an eternal perspective. I confess too many times I am concerned about my needs and the needs of my physical family. Forgive me and use me now as You would have me to be used.

In Jesus name,

Amen
















































































2 comments:

  1. Wow! You have pricked me to the very heart with this insight! I have longed so long for "fellowship friendship", but you have pointed out that, rather than expect it from others, I should be exercising it myself in love to them. Thank you, Marcy, for this good word!
    Gayle Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I have also longed for a relationship like that, but God is showing me a different perspective. Still I praise God for our 'fellowship friendship.' It is something that I treasure.

    ReplyDelete