Saturday, May 12, 2012

Despair to Hope

Ps. 42:1-2
As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?

In life's desert times, the psalmist cried out to God for the divine water that would sustain his life. Without it, his life was threatened. In essence, he was the deer deprived of water, a water that only God would supply, and he knew that spiritual dehydration was not far away. He was so downcast that his tears had become his food as he was mocked by his enemies. Although he could remember better times, times when he rejoiced leading the festival to the house of God, his hope had now vanished. Why such a bleak picture? If he could remember those better times, couldn't he remember what was true about God?

The psalmist did just that. In the midst of his despair, he began a dialogue with himself. His first words were: Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God.  He went on to acknowledge his depression and to remember what God had down earlier in his life. By day the Lord commands His steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. Still the problem haunted him. He cried out why, why God, and as if that were not bad enough, his enemies taunted him. They were a deadly wound in his bones! But then there was a subtle change. His questioning turned from God to himself. Why are you cast down oh my soul? At the point where he could see the problem within himself, his own sin, he cried to the One who could solve the problem. Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God.   

Father,
Keep my eyes focused on You, my hope. Help me not to indulge despair and self-pity, but to remember what is true about You and cling to Your glorious words.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment