Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Lord Looks on the Heart

I Sam. 16:7
But the Lord said to Samuel, Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.

After Saul was rejected by God, Samuel was sent by God to fill his horn with oil and go to the sons of Jesse, the Bethlehemite. It was in this family that He would chose a king. When Samuel arrived, he looked on Jesse's sons and thought the logical choice would be Eliab. How kingly he must have looked! Yet, the initial look can be deceiving since appearance and character are often vastly different. At this point God spoke to Samuel reminding him that He doesn't choose by appearance or height, (Remember Saul) but instead looks on the heart. Soon all the sons gathered there had passed by and still God had not chosen one. After questioning Jesse, Samuel discovered there was a younger son who was tending the sheep, a son that Jesse obviously did not feel was worthy of consideration since he was left in the fields. But, he was brought in and brought before the Lord. He was young, ruddy, handsome, and had beautiful eyes, but best of all, he was God's choice. Samuel took the oil and anointed him and the Spirit of the Lord rushed on him from that day forward. David's life would be forever changed because he was chosen by God!

God's choice was different than Samuel or Jesse expected. Perhaps this is why I should seek God in all my choices. If even a priest and a father can not discern, then certainly I can't. God's choice depends totally on the area of the life that is not seen by other people and on His sovereign will and purpose. He knows not only the heart but the plan and purpose for the life. What is my heart like? Is it focused totally on loving and serving God, or it is concerned with how I look to others?

Father,
Reveal to me the issues of my own heart so that I might be true to You and Your words. Teach me to make choices only after seeking You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment