Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Risk

Acts 15:25-26
...it seemed good to us, having come to one accord, to choose men and send them to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, men who have risked their lives for the sake of our Lord Jesus Christ.

What if this were the criteria to serve Jesus today? What if men were chosen for a task because they had risked their lives for Jesus? Who would be chosen? Sadly, very, very few, if any...Why is this? Is Jesus the same Jesus today as He was then? Is the power of the Spirit the same today as it was then? After having read only 15 chapters of Acts, I do see a much different power and fervor in the lives of the disciples. Perhaps in this time, when the church was being formed, the power was needed in greater measure, but at the same time, perhaps in my time and culture the power is less because the hearts are dulled with the allure of the world. I see in these people an abandon for Jesus, a throwing away of all that is worldly, and a complete preoccupation with the cause of Christ. What is my heart's preoccupation? What makes me passionate? Am I ready and willing to risk my life for the sake of Jesus? Hard questions...

Father,
Reveal my heart to me. Help me see clearly what You desire in my life. Give me a passion and a fervor for the souls of others and the spread of Your gospel.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment