Saturday, May 26, 2012

In God I Trust

Ps. 56:3-4
When I am afraid, I put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, In God I trust,; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?

Trust in God does not necessarily negate fear as in David' case when the enemy was pursuing him. Fear is an ever present enemy that attacks constantly. But with God, my fear now drives me to God instead of defeating me. So when fear attacks me, it is a signal fire lighting my way to the One who can drive away fear. But how does this trust grow? Is it only through fearing? No, trust grows by praising His word, and to praise His word, I would have to be in His word. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Secondly trust grows by realizing who God is, the sovereign God whose plan and purpose controls all the actions of the universe, of men and of nature. So I can say with David, what can flesh do to me? What can man do to me apart from God's plan and purpose? The answer is nothing!! What a load off! Thirdly, I can be confident in my God. This I know that God is for me. He has promised all things are for my good. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. That promise alone takes the wind out of the fear. No wonder David repeated these words later in the psalm. In God, whose word I praise, In God I trust, I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me? What great verses to memorize to use in my battle with fear! What great verses to memorize to praise His word!

Father,
Thank You for being in control of my life and for giving me Your fear-defeating words. Plant them deep in my heart.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment