Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Yoke on the Neck

Acts 15:10
Now therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?

Into the passion of salvation by grace came the intermixing of works in the form of circumcision. Certain men were teaching that circumcision was necessary for salvation, and this teaching did not set well with the Paul, Peter, and the rest of the group. A debate ensued! In fact, they traveled to Jerusalem to consider the matter. Peter spoke at the gathering up saying that it is God that knows the heart of each man, and furthermore, He gave the Gentiles the Holy Spirit, and in this giving, He made no distinction between the Jews and the Gentiles. As Peter explained they were putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples, a yoke that was unbearable. His final conclusion was: we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will!  That was the end of the matter. Salvation is by grace alone through faith. It is the gift of God. It involves nothing that man does.

How quickly the works theology came into the mix! Strangely, there is something about the nature of man that wants to do something, that wants to feel like his input has value and is necessary. But  salvation has nothing to do with man. It has to do with God. In fact, salvation comes in knowing that I am poor in spirit and have nothing to bring to God to make me worthy. Salvation comes in my knowing that Jesus is my worthiness. He is all that I need. So when any works theology tries to creep into my relationship with God, I must realize that this is a yoke on my neck, that this is putting God to the test. In essence it is saying that His gift of salvation was not sufficient, and I need to add something to it. Grace would not be grace if I needed to add anything to it. Grace is God's gift to me, a gift that saves and sanctifies.

Father,
Thank You for this great gift of grace. Keep my eyes open to any human works that might creep into my spiritual life. Keep me free of yokes of my own making.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment