Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Refuge and Strength

Ps 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

What are the implications of truly believing that God is my refuge and strength? It means that I wouldn't worry or fear, that I wouldn't seek help in another area, and that my life would be one of rest and peace. Since a refuge is where I would go when attacked or battered either by disease, stress, relationships, finances, loss of job, problems, heartaches, [any number of things] it means that I could find solace in the presence of God from those things. I could trust the sovereign God who put them in my life and see His hand behind them all. I could rejoice that whatever was in my life was put their by God for my good. So when the heavy things come, I must be still and know that He is God. He will be exalted not only among the nations but in my heart and life. But how, how does my humanity lose its power? Not only is God my refuge but He is also my strength! Amazingly He is not only where I should go in the face of anything that comes into my life, but He also is my strength to get there! What grace is this! It is so fantastic and yet how many times do I muddle along in my misery seeking comfort from things that are really helpless to deal with my problems? How many times is God the last person that I seek? Sadly, too often!

Father,
Teach me to live with You as my refuge and strength. Make me aware of Your sovereign power and plan every minute of my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment