Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Green for God

Ps. 52:8
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. I trust in the steadfast love of God forever and ever.

What is the meaning of the image of a green olive tree? Jer. 11:16 says  The LORD once called you 'a green olive tree, beautiful with good fruit.'  Also, this tree is planted in the house of the Lord which reminds me of Ps. 92:12-15 The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon. They are planted in the house of the Lord; they flourish in the courts of our God. They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is not unrighteousness in Him. Now the image has expanded to include flourishing. God's plan for those who dwell in His house includes being fruitful and flourishing. When I trust in His steadfast love, then the result is that I am abiding in Him which encompasses living a life that is fruitful and flourishing, full of sap and green. Even though my physical body ages, my spirit is young, vibrant, and full of everything that it needs to produce fruit. My spirit never becomes a tree that needs to be cut down and burned. It will never lose its productiveness because my fruit is not from my flesh, but is Spirit-grown. How encouraging! As I age and deal with issues of aging, I don't have to fear becoming useless for God. No matter how old I am, I will be fruitful, full of sap and green. What is the key to this kind of life? Abiding ... Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. How glorious is His steadfast love!

Father,
Keep me abiding in You so that I am fruitful, green and full of sap continuously. Help me declare Your love and grace to all those in my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment