Monday, May 7, 2012

If the Lord Wills

Acts 18:21
 But on taking leave of them he said, "I will return to you if God wills," and he set sail from Ephesus.

The direction of Paul's life and ministry was up to God. Paul knew that God would guide him to the exact location that he needed to be. His plan did not always guarantee lack of problems: in fact, it usually meant more problems including imprisonments, beatings, oppositions, reviling, and hostility. But still, Paul could have peace that his life and journey were in God's sovereign control. He did not have to figure out the logistics and then beat himself up when it didn't turn out right.
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Is. 26:3

On one occasion, God's leading took the form of a vision where God spoke to him saying, Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people. Paul did preach to this city, and he stayed 18 months teaching the word of God. Yet, when he was at Ephesus, he was asked to stay longer, but he declined saying he would come back if God willed it. At Caesarea, he spent some time and then departed and went from one place to another strengthening the disciples. God leading for him varied but whatever God wanted, he was willing to do. When my spirit is sensitive to God's leading, fear and worry are banished. It is only when I try and take control, then my spirit is troubled. Paul even in the midst of suffering had peace because this is where God had placed him. Oh, to have such peace!

Father,
Continue to teach me to take my hands off the control of my life. Grow my trust in You. Keep me in Your perfect peace as I learn to follow Your lead.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment