Friday, October 31, 2014

Beware

Jude 20
But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal live.

John closes his letter with a vivid description of the ungodly who seek to bring the Christian down. They blaspheme what they do not understand, are destroyed by all they are, unreasoning animals who understand only instinctively. They are hidden reefs at your love feasts. They blend in so well that they are hard to spot, and consequently, take unsuspecting people down with them. They are shepherds who feed themselves, water-less clouds [have no substance], swept along by winds [ each new thing that comes along], fruitless trees in late fall, twice dead, uprooted, wild waves of the sea, casting up the foam of their own shame, wandering stars for whom the gloom of utter darkness is reserved.

What is God's plan for these people? He will send 10,000 of His holy ones to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an u ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against Him. No mercy whatsoever! They are grumbling malcontents, following their own sinful desires, loud-mouthed boasters, showing favoritism to gain advantage. How scary is this! These types of people will be in the majority in the end times. Scoffers who follow their ungodly passions causing division, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit. The description is so manifold it seems like we would be hard-pressed not to spot them, but I must remember they are hidden reefs waiting to take down the unwary.

Am I just to live in fear? No, on the contrary. I am to build myself up in my faith, praying in the Spirit, keeping myself in the love of God as I wait for the mercy of Jesus to call me home. I am to focus on Jesus and His words as opposed to thinking about these ungodly. Knowing is to be forewarned, but growing is to be armed ready to defend. John encourages me to show mercy to doubters and do all I can to snatch them from the fire showing mercy. I am to hate the garments stained with sin but to reach out in love to the sinner. 

Wow! what a powerful ending that can only be followed by a powerful benediction. Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of His glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

Father,
Open my eyes to spot the evil so that You might use me to grab someone being sucked in and so that I can be safe as well. Lord, keep me from stumbling. I want to be ready when You call me home so that I can praise Your name with all that is Yours:  glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment