Monday, October 13, 2014

Confession and Forgiveness

1 Jn. 4
And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.

John as a living apostle, one who had seen and heard Jesus in the flesh, wrote this epistle to the believers so that we [like those who have gone before] may have fellowship with the Father, the Son, and one another. Knowing, believing, and living this life will complete our joy. Just as John wrote in his gospel concerning joy, he stresses it again. Jesus is the only way to joy! Jesus is the only way to have fellowship with the Father who is the source of true joy. 

John declared that this message he was proclaiming he heard from Jesus. God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.  It is impossible to walk with Jesus and walk in darkness, and if we claim that this is true, we are liars. Light by its nature banishes darkness! But if we claim we walk in light, our fellowship with the Father, Jesus, and other believers is a reality, and His blood cleanses us from all sin. How glorious is this fact! 

Even though we are cleansed from sin [singular meaning our sin nature and enslavement to that nature], we still have our body of flesh with us. This flesh is prone to fall and sin, but the wonderful thing is that we can confess and be forgiven. If we claim to be free from sin, we are liars and the truth is not in us. Admitting our sin and seeking repentance and forgiveness is an essential part of our daily life. Why would someone not  confess? Pride would be at the very root of the issue. Justifying what we have done and not looking at it in the lens of Jesus. Our friendship with the world could be so strong that our spiritual vision is clouded. What does our heart reveal? Do I notice my sin or does it happen without even a thought? Am I ignorant of the sin? Am I in the word like I should be? Or is my heart so hard that I care more for the things of the world and that the things of Jesus are inconsequential? Jesus is not an add-on. A life with Him is all or nothing. 

Father,
As I read this chapter this morning, I see how black and white sin is, light and darkness. I confess my many times where I have indulged my flesh, when I have clung to some darkness because I felt justified. Strengthen my vision so I can see clearly Your light. Help me not to live in the shadows at all.
In the Name of the Light,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment