Thursday, October 23, 2014

Statements

1 Jn. 5: 5
Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

The first 5 verses of I Jn. 5 seem to be loaded with ideas essential to my walk with God. They are:

1- Believing in Jesus Christ means that I have been born of God. Why? Because Jesus is the One that the Father sent to bridge the gap between God and man. He is the One who died shedding His blood that I might live. 

2- Everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of Him. Why? Because the love that has been poured into my heart by the Holy Spirit is no run-of-mill earthly love. Instead it is the supernatural love of God that has taken up residence in my life and in my heart so that I might love other believers. God's love will always seek out and love God's love in someone else.  

3. We know we love the children of God when we love God and keep His commandments. Why? Because His commandments teach me to love others. So it falls logically that if I love God and obey His word that I will love the other children of God. But when the word is neglected then my love is weakened.

4-This is the love of God that we keep His commandments. Why? Because His word is who He is. The word not only teaches me about God, but it gives me a relationship with God. His love is poured into my life so that I might bring glory to His name. How better to do that than through obedience to His words?

5- His commandments are not burdensome.Why? Because we cannot keep them in our own strength. Impossibility! But when we operate in faith and through grace, then it is a different story. Then they become the joy and rejoicing of my life. Then they are not a burden.

6- Everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. Why?  Because Jesus has overcome the world, and He lives in me. He is my victory over the world! He makes me an overcomer!

7- Faith is the victory that has overcome the world. Why? Because faith is not a human quality or device. Faith is a gift of God, a gift that He has given to me in salvation, but not only for salvation but also for sanctification. 

8-The over-comer is the one who believes in Jesus. Why? because identifying with Jesus means that all He has achieved is mine. I can overcome my flesh, the world, and all that that entails through Jesus. 

What a powerful paragraph! So much! How blessed I am!

Father,
Thank You for choosing me to be Your child, for giving me Your word, for giving me an obedient spirit, for giving me faith, and for giving me victory over the world.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment