Saturday, October 4, 2014

Humility

1 Pet. 5:5
Likewise you who are younger, be subject to your elders. Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you.

When I think of 'clothe', I think of a garment that covers my body. Many times it can cover so well that none of my face or hands even show. If someone were to look at me, they would not be able to tell who I was unless I were to speak. In a spiritual sense, my outward appearance could reflect humility in that I wouldn't try and bring attention to myself, but the true test would be in what I said or thought. Since no one can see my thoughts, speaking humility would be the true test. This is a hard thing to do because as soon as I would have it mastered, I would be taking pride in my humility. 

Yet still I see that it is of prime value to God. He opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Of course this was true at salvation where I humbled myself admitting my great need for a Savior. It was then that the grace began to flow. If pride is my shadow, then I need to do some constant confessing and repenting. Immediately after these two verses, it says casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you.  Here I see a clear connection between pride and anxiety. Anxiety or worry is stressing over what a person cannot control. Even though it appears to be different, it really is an inverted form of pride. This person cannot let go of a situation [or whatever it is]. They feel they must control it all instead of giving it to God in humility admitting their need. Am I hanging on to things that I think I can control? Am I giving it all to God?

Father,
If and when I hang on to control, reveal it to me. Help me to come to You always for all that I need.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment