Thursday, October 30, 2014

Foot Washing

Jn. 13:15-16
For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master.

Jesus knew His time was short, and that His Father was in control of all things even Satan and the heart of Judas. At the Passover Feast with His disciples, Jesus rose to take off His outer garments and picked up a towel. Filling a basin with water, He began washing His disciples feet and drying them with the towel. In typical Peter fashion, he asked why? Jesus told him that if He didn't do this, Peter would have no share in Him. Peter responded emphatically saying, Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head. His heart was one of unqualified love and commitment [sadly all to soon that would waver]. Jesus taught, The one who has bathed only needs his feet washed. Finally, He told them that not every one of you is clean [Judas]. Didn't they wonder about that statement? Wasn't the night getting stranger by the moment?

Getting His outer garment, Jesus sat down and taught them that He, their Lord and teacher, had washed their feet, and they should also wash each other's feet. Jesus set the example that must be followed.  Why?  Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master. There would be a blessing attached to obeying this command. However, Jesus was not speaking to all of them because He knew those He had chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, 'He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.' I am telling you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he. After Jesus had spoken, He was greatly troubled. 

What an example! Certainly one that speaks of complete humility, but also one that teaches that daily sin needs to cleansed. Our salvation is always in tact, but sin is ever crouching at our door. This reminds me of  James 5:16, Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. Why this emphasis on others? Could it be that the shame that would result would make us hate the sin, or at the very least make us feel uncomfortable. On a positive not, I think this would cement the bonds of our fellowship and increase our prayers for one another. 

Father,
Thank You for Your Son, for salvation, and for growth. Open my eyes to what I should confess. Keep me humble before You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment