Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Contend

Jude 3
Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. 

What's in a name? In this case, a whole lot! The letter itself was addressed to those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ. Isn't it amazing that I could be beloved in God the Father? How truly transforming is this salvation that changes my entire being! God chose me from before the foundations of the world. I was a speck in His plan! Also, I am kept for Jesus as His bride at the wedding feast of the Lamb. How exciting will that day be! Still there's more. I am a joint-heir with Jesus adopted into the family of God. This is who I am and even though I am still in my body of flesh, I must contend for the faith. 

What does contend mean? I see images of holding fast, of allowing nothing to alter it from its inception in my life, and of battling. John warns the saints [believers] to battle, to be on guard for the enemy attack. In this case, the enemy came in unnoticed as ungodly people who perverted the grace of God. They could be people who advocated works over grace, people who used the Scriptures to support a false claim. But specifically they turned the grace of God into sensuality and denied Jesus Christ. Now that is bad! How could someone this bad come in unnoticed? I think it could only happen when believers were thinking the battle was over, when they were neglecting to watch and pray, or when they were tolerant of others to the degree that they ignored the warnings. The battle is never over until Jesus calls us home. We must constantly be on guard for these creepers!

Father,
Keep my eyes open to all that is around me. Spirit, help me contend for the faith. Help me see those who creep in unnoticed. Thank You for making me all that I am in You.You have blessed my life beyond measure.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment