Saturday, October 20, 2012

Destined for This

I Thess. 3:3
That no one be moved by these afflictions. For you yourselves know that we are destined for this.
 
Paul wanted to come face to face with the Thessalonians to establish and exhort them in their faith because their afflictions were many. But Paul could not come himself, so he sent Timothy to make sure that the tempter had not tempted them to an easier path. He wanted to remind them that this was, is, and will be their destiny. Believers are to suffer afflictions! In fact, I Peter 2:21says, For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in His steps. Suffering is the believer's destiny, his calling.
 
But how do believer's endure? What gives them the strength? Heb. 10:22-24 says, Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Paul's deep concern and his sending of Timothy was a practical fulfillment of these concepts. He want to encourage the Thessalonians to love and good works even in the midst of deep trial. His desire that they stand fast motivated his actions, concerns, and prayers. And what did Timothy find out? Just exactly what Paul wanted to hear, the good news of their faith and love. They were standing fast! What an example for believers today to encourage one another and to be concerned about the spiritual growth and stamina of others in the body! And what an example for me to stand, to hold fast my confession, and to endure the afflictions knowing that this is my destiny and my calling!
 
Father,
Give me Your strength to endur, to stand, and to remember my destiny and calling! Broaden my concern for others and help me to encourage them. Show me how to stir them up to love and good works.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment