Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Beast

Rev. 13:10
...Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.
 
As I read this chapter, I can only imagine what kind of endurance it must take to survive...A beast rose from the sea who had 10 horns adorned with 10 diadems and 7 heads with blasphemous heads on them. Its appearance was like a leopard, with feet like a bear and a mouth like a lion. [ a composite representing all the kingdoms and governments of the world] And to the beast the dragon gave his power, his throne, and his authority. One of its heads had a mortal wound that was healed [imitation of the Lamb's mortal wound and resurrection]. Because of this miraculous healing, all the earth marveled and followed the beast worshipping both the beast and the dragon. The people wondered who would be able to fight against this duo?
 
The beast had a mouth that uttered haughty and blasphemous words, and it was given authority for 42 months [parallels Daniel's prophecy]. But even the beast cannot go beyond what God has allowed him to do.  His blasphemous words blasphemed God, His name, His dwelling [heaven]. As if this were not bad enough, He was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them. He was given authority over all peoples regardless of location, nation, or language to make them worship him except for those whose names had been written in the Lamb's Book of Life from before the foundation of the world. What a scary time!  Definitely, here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.
 
Then another beast rose out of the earth having 2 horns like a lamb [looks like a lamb but is really a dragon-lying and deception], but it spoke like a dragon. It exercised the authority of the first beast and made the people worship the first beast. This beast performs great signs and uses them to deceive the people. After telling the people to make an image of the beast, he would give it breath to speak so that those who refused to worship might be slain. It also commanded all to receive the mark of the beast, the number of man on their forehead, 666. No hiding now!
 
What a scary time! Evil is so powerful that the endurance of the saints can only end in martyrdom. Interesting to note that Satan mimics what God had already done in order to deceive the people. He really has no original plan. But sadly, I wonder how many people who claim to be saints can withstand such a time? Paul's words would take on an entirely new meaning, But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in Him... The loss of all things, especially life!
 
Father,
Even as I read this, I wonder how much can I endure. Will I stand faithfully at the cost of my life? I ask You to keep me in Your hand, covered in Your shelter. Give me Your grace to endure.
In the name of the Lamb,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment