Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Confession and Praise

Neh. 9:5
Stand up and bless the Lord your God from everlasting to everlasting. Blessed be Your glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise.
 
The people were assembled for fasting with sackcloth and earth on their heads and were separated from all foreigners so that they could stand and confess their sins, including the sins of their fathers. Interesting to note, they were in grief clothes and standing! They were physically uncomfortable as well as visually expressing grief over what they had done. As they stood in place, they read from the book of the Law for 1/4 of the day, and for another 1/4, they confessed and worshipped. Standing for 12 hours, listening, confessing, and worshipping. Amazing! Such focus and purpose!
 
Earlier in chapter 8, the people gathered as one man into the square before the Water gate and asked Ezra to read the Law to them. He brought the Law and began reading, continuing for early morning until midday. And all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law. No one got tired, hungry, or even let their mind wander! And Ezra blessed the Lord, the great God, and all the people answered, Amen, Amen, lifting up their hands. And they bowed their heads and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground. Ezra declared this a holy day, a day without mourning or weeping, for on this day, the joy of the Lord was their strength. How exciting! Such unity in worship and purpose!
 
Whether I am confessing or praising, the Word of God must be present! Without the Word to convict of sin, there is no confession. Without the living Word to flood the life with love and grace, there is no worship. Without the Word I am lost and undone!  I join these people in saying, Amen! I join these people in lifting my hands in praise to God! The joy of the Lord is my strength! I praise Him for His Word that is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart...I must stand up and bless the Lord from everlasting to everlasting. Blessed be Your glorious name!
 
Father,
Let me not grow weary in confession or worship. Make my heart united to You so that my eyes see what You see and my heart loves as You love. Convict me of sin and give me the joy of a repentant, cleansed heart. Make me hungry for Your words.
In Jesus name,
Amen and Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment