Monday, October 22, 2012

Times and Seasons

I Thess. 5:1-2
Now concerning the times and seasons, brothers, you have no need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.
 
 Certainly much speculation has been written about the end times, but Paul had one important warning for believers: Keep awake and be sober...having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. We are to be prepared for a war, an encounter with the forces of evil, doing battle everyday because the day of the Lord will be like a thief in the night coming when we least expect it. When people say peace and security then sudden destruction will come as labor pains come upon a pregnant women. Believers must be in a state of constant readiness just like a pregnant woman who longs for the birth. Since we are not living in the darkness (as do the forces of evil), we need not be surprised by His return. As children of the light and the day, we can be awake, fully prepared and ready for what is to come. Watch and pray lest you fall into temptation, lest we be lulled into a state of lethargy because of the easy times or the blessings of prosperity. We must actively cling to the promise and the truth that God destined and called us to be with Him, to be saved through the blood of Jesus. So whether we are alive or have already died, we will go with Him. Thankfully, we do not have to be alive at the moment He returns because we are alive in Him. He claims all His own! What an encouragement!
 
But how am I live if I am awake, sober, and clothed in faith and love? What does that look like practically? Paul does answer this question succinctly and to the point.
  • Respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you. No doubt it is their insight and admonishment that will keep me ready, that will make me aware when I am drifting off into sleep.
  • Be at peace among yourselves. No negative energy drains of discord and inter-body friction; instead we are all united in one common theme, glorifying Him by being satisfied in Him.
  • Admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, and be patient with them all. Love will be the binding force the motivation for our relationships with one another. Because of love, I will encourage, admonish, and help others who are growing sleepy and falling under the sway of the world, but ever so patiently.
  • See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. I do not live with the pay back principle. As God was and is good to me, so I will be to others.
  • Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, giving thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. My life must be one of thankfulness, rejoicing, and prayer. Ouch! That is hard! How can I rejoice and give thanks in all circumstances? It can only be through the grace of God!
  • Do not quench the Spirit. How could I possibly live like this if I quenched the Spirit? Impossible! My relationship with the Spirit and His ministries is of vital importance.
  • Do not despise prophecies, but test everything:hold fast what is good. I need to hold everything up to the searchlight of Scripture.
  • Abstain from every form of evil. Abstain bring with it negative connotations, but in the Lord, it means a greater goodness. As I abstain from evil, I make room for more and more of the grace and blessings of God. My life will Him becomes richer and sweeter! There will be no void, no emptiness.
Paul then ends this packed closing chapter with a beautiful benediction, Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, He will surely do it.What an assurance and blessing! He will do it. He is faithful!
 
Father,
You are the faithful One! Thank you for choosing me to be a child of the light. Keep me awake and growing, ever preparing for Christ's return. Open my ears, eyes, and heart to the promptings of Your Spirit.
In the name of the Coming One,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment