Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To This End...

II Thess. 1:11-12
To this end we always pray for you, that our God make you worthy of His calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by His power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
 
Verses 11-12 sum up the reason for the Paul's prayer. To this end... What is the end? Looking back in the chapter, Paul has made some bold statements. First, he states that the faith and love of the Thessalonians was growing and increasing, and secondly, that they also were steadfastly enduring persecutions and afflictions. Both of these facts were evidence of the righteous judgment of God, a judgment when God would justly repay those who had afflicted these believers, those who were walking worthy of the kingdom of God. He would also grant relief when Christ is revealed from heaven in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction away from the Lord and from the glory of His might, when He comes on that day to be glorified in His saints,and to be marveled at among all who have believed.
 
Because the Thessalonians believed and were faithfully walking in the faith, growing and enduring, and because God will judge the persecutors of those who walk worthy of His kingdom, Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy are praying for them that they will be worthy, not that they will make themselves worthy, but that God would make them worthy of His calling and would fulfill in them every resolve for good and every work of faith by His power. It all comes from the top down! I am worthy of the kingdom, not because of my effort or my goodness, but because God makes me worthy of His calling. He drew me to Himself covering my sins with the blood of His Son. He makes me worthy of His calling, and finally He fulfills all my desires and resolves to live for Him. Nothing is accomplished in my own strength so that I boast not in myself but in God, in His surpassing power. All my life is according to the grace of God and the Lord Jesus Christ. What amazing grace is this!
 
To this end, I pray for others and for myself, that we all will be made worthy of His calling and that He will fulfill every work of faith by His power according to His great grace! Not only is this a reality but it is a hope, a hope for the persecuted who endure steadfastly and a hope for the afflicted that God will justly repay. Righteousness and justice will prevail. It is only up to me to endure steadfastly, without wavering but trusting in the promise of God. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it.
 
Father,
Thank You for being a faithful God who is true to His every word. I ask that You make me worthy of Your calling and that You give me Your grace and strength to endure steadfastly. Grow my faith and my love more every day.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment