Tuesday, June 1, 2010

His own Purpose and Grace

II Tim. 1:9

"Who [God] saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of His own purpose and grace, which He gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began."

This verse pretty much lays out the how and why of my life. First, my beginnings were set in place before the ages began. Life, and my life in particular, is the result of a Sovereign God. Even more than that, God saved and called me for His own good pleasure before the ages began. What a thought! This great work of grace had nothing to do with me, my potential, my sphere of influence, or even the lack thereof. Then why would He chose me? I am not really sure, but I know that I am eternally grateful for His choice. I have to remember constantly that God's ways are not my ways, and His thoughts are not my thoughts. For some, this fact of a life already set in place is insulting. They do not see it as a blessing, but as a loss of personal freedom. But for me, it is amazing that God reached down in a great act of grace and bridged the gap that separated us. If it were all up to me to set the course of my life, I cannot imagine the mess that would result. Not only that, but there is no way that I could save myself. There is no way that I could be in the presence of God. In His grace, God drew me to Himself so that I would be complete in Him.

Secondly, I have a purpose! I have something that God has lined out for me to do, that is a holy calling. In my flesh, this is not possible, but God in His great grace empowers me to live a holy life, pure and without blame until Jesus calls me home. How does this empowerment happen?
It results from my salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ, my ongoing obedience and growth in the Word, and the phenomenal power to the Holy Spirit within me. Not only that but I can go to the throne of grace moment by moment. I can sit at the feet of the One who formed my plan and my purpose. I can draw from His great wells of wisdom all that I need to accomplish His purpose in my life.

Finally, He chose me for His own purpose and grace. What is His purpose and how does that become my purpose? His purpose was and is to bring glory and honor to His name. Rev. 5:12 says "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!" It all belongs to Him! It is Him! He delights in His own worship and praise. Such a thought is hard to understand. If this were me, I would be unbelievably self-centered, but since it is God, He is believably worthy. So how does this purpose become mine? "The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. He stands supreme at the center of His own affections. For that very reason He is a self-sufficient and inexhaustible fountain of grace." I accomplish this by His inexhaustible fountain of grace. His grace in me works perfectly in my weakness, "therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." I accomplish this by enjoying Him. He is to be my delight. Such heavy thoughts! How do I practically do this? For me the key to even beginning to live such a life is in prayer. Piper says that "Prayer is God's appointed way to fullness of joy because it is the vent of the inward burnings of our heart for Christ. If we had no vent, if we could not commune with Him in response to His Word, we would be miserable indeed." Along with prayer, is saturation in the Word, praying the Word, and memorizing and meditating on the Word. I must express my dependence on God and wait in His presence for Him to fill me up with what I need to delight in Him and bring glory to His name.

These thoughts are not easy to grasp, so in that respect, they must be accepted by faith. I believe God in what He says, in what His purpose is for me, in the how and the why of my life, in my bringing glory and honor to His name, and in my delighting in Him above all else. I believe Him that I can only be satisfied in Him through His great grace.

Father,
Teach me more. Draw me to Yourself so that I may know You. I want to glorify You, delight in You, and be satisfied in You. Send me Your grace in a mighty way. Take 'me' out of my life and make it Your life in me.
In Jesus name,
Amen








.

No comments:

Post a Comment